Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 05:11:41 -0400
From: Donald Stufft <donald@...fft.io>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: Insecure Software Download in pip

On Jul 31, 2013, at 4:33 AM, Raphael Geissert <geissert@...ian.org> wrote:

> On 31 July 2013 10:11, Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com> wrote:
>> On 07/30/2013 12:44 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>>> There was a CVE for pip not verifying TLS,
>>> https://access.redhat.com/security/cve/CVE-2013-1629 However that
>>> says it was RESERVED so I'm not sure how to make that unreserved?
>>> I've not done much with requesting CVEs before.
>>
>> Ok I have no info on that CVE, is it embargoed? I can't find it in
>> google after a quick search. I need to see that one before I can
>> assign anything.
>
> From the bugzilla info: "source=debian", and looking at our tracker:
> https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2013-1629 points to:
>
> I don't know who assigned the id, however.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
> www.debian.org - get.debian.net

Ha, Awesome. This CVE is some sort of ghost ;)

Debian bug links to https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2013-1629

Which links to.. This conversation in oss-sec, NVD which says it doesn't exist, The RedHat Bugzilla, Gentoo which says it doesn't exist, Ubuntu which says it does but doesn't give any more info other than linking to the page on Mitre that just says the reserved bit.

A google search turns up http://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/17rfh7/warning_dont_use_pip_in_an_untrusted_network_a/c8ay4xt but it's unclear if that person requested the CVE or not.

So uh how do we figure it out? Can I as a pip developer contact Mitre and release data for it?