Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 13:37:33 +0200
From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: Debian's package "mysql-server" leaks
 credential information

On 06/10/2013 01:26 PM, gremlin@...mlin.ru wrote:
> On 08-Jun-2013 13:28:28 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>
>   >> That's not a security issue, but a misconfiguration
>   > I consider this a security bug in the debian package's maintainer
>   > scripts: it is a race condition that leaks confidential information
>
> Package post-install scripts are closer to configuration.

That depends on the post-install script.  In Debian's case, there are
some extensions because there is still some interactive package
installation left, but in general, the postinst script performs required
steps for properly integrating the new package with the rest of the system.

For Fedora and downstream, the postinst script should be
non-interactive, so it is really not much like configuration.

In general, it's desirable to do as much as possible in a declarative
fashion (for better auditing, rollback, etc.), but I don't anyone is
even close to that.

Anyway, if there's a bug in the postinstall script that causes an
exposure, it needs to be fixed.  With the prerm script, it's more
complicated because you can't fix it without executing it again. 8-)