Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 13:46:29 -0400
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@...cle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: xen/blkback: Check device permissions before allowing OP_DISCARD

Hey,

John Haxby and Dan Carpenter recommended I ask for an CVE number here.

The bug is that if a system admin provides a disk (which supports
the discard aka TRIM or SCSI UNMAP) to a guest as read-only - there are
no checks done. Which means that the OS can destroy the data.

The likehood of somebody using 'ro' disks I think is small - but there
is probably one person who does it and would be unhappy that a guest
OS can destroy the underlaying data.

I have a patch (and a test-case) ready (see attached). I think
I just need an CVE number and need to send the mentioned patch
to Linus?

View attachment "0001-xen-blkback-Check-device-permissions-before-allowing.patch" of type "text/plain" (1886 bytes)