Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 08:30:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov@...hat.com>
To: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@...c4.com>
Cc: cgit@...ts.zx2c4.com, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: cgit directory traversal

Thank you for the report, Jason.

> Hi Kurt,
>
> As mentioned in early messages to oss-sec, I've inherited
> maintainership of the cgit codebase and am gradually auditing it.
> Today I found a nasty directory traversal:
>
> http://somehost/?url=/somerepo/about/../../../../etc/passwd
>
> This should be pretty straightforward to categorize.
>
> Exploitation looks like:
> http://data.zx2c4.com/cgit-directory-traversal.png
>
> I've committed a fix for it here:
> http://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/commit/?h=wip&id=babf94e04e74123eb658a823213c062663cdadd6

That patch doesn't seem to be applicable to cgit-0.9.1 version yet (there
doesn't seem to be cgit_parse_readme() routine yet).

Can you provide a patch that would apply against v0.9.1 version too? Or
would this be just problem of master branch code?

Thank you && Regards, Jan.
--
Jan iankko Lieskovsky / Red Hat Security Response Team