Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 16:20:30 +0530
From: Huzaifa Sidhpurwala <huzaifas@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Agostino Sarubbo <ago@...too.org>
Subject: Re: CVE request: dovecot : "APPEND" Parameters Processing
 Denial of Service Vulnerability

On 05/22/2013 12:28 AM, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
> From the secunia advisory SA53492[1] :
>
> Description
> A vulnerability has been reported in Dovecot, which can be exploited by
> malicious users to cause a DoS (Denial of Service).
>
> The vulnerability is caused due to an error within IMAP functionality when
> processing the "APPEND" parameters and can be exploited to cause a hang.
>
> The vulnerability is reported in version 2.2.
>

> Solution
> Update to version 2.2.2.
>
> Provided and/or discovered by
> Reported by the vendor.
>
> Original Advisory
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot-news/2013-May/000255.html
>
> Commit:
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/ea0390e1789f
>
> [1]: https://secunia.com/advisories/53492/

Note: I found a similar commit in dovecot-2.2 repo:

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/0b7039a614f7

the commit message says " imap: Fixed assert-crash on invalid APPEND
parameters."

I am not very familiar with the dovecot code, but taking a brief look
suggests that parsing APPEND in some way could result in hitting assert.

--
Huzaifa Sidhpurwala / Red Hat Security Response Team