Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:19:07 +0000
From: Tim Brown <tmb@...35.com>
To: Steve Grubb <sgrubb@...hat.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
 Corey Bryant <coreyb@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Re: [kernel-hardening] Security vulnerability tools

On Thursday 28 Mar 2013 15:58:32 Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 05:51:19 PM Corey Bryant wrote:
> > Thanks Tim.  Sounds nice.  This is the first security audit tool on the
> > list so if we could add more in this category that would be nice.
>
> There is also openscap if you are wanting security auditing.
> http://www.open-scap.org/page/Main_Page

I've already said this to Corey but it bares repeating...

Having a background in UNIX SecOps, I do a lot of system audits in my current
role and whilst I understand the business driver, I really don't like the
term.  The main gist is, CIS style audits are worthy but they won't effectively
test your controls.

upc is an offensive tool to help identify escalation of privilege vectors
(especially on large multi-user system), (there is of course a degree of
overlap with a traditional audit).  It started off focussing on the quick wins
but it's developing in a more rounded attack tool.  As an example, the trunk
version of upc contains plugins to pull up (amongst other things) compiler flag
misuse, insecure API usage and other SDL violations, not something a
traditional audit would cover but which are pretty useful when you land on a
random system and want additional privileges.  Users of upc should not be
afraid to write code, or fire up a debugger in the pursuit of root.

If you wanted to use it in a more systemic fashion, it might be interesting to
run it (for example) pre and post package upgrade or as part of distro QA etc
- but that's certainly not why we use/develop it (unless maybe we're doing a
product assessment where I might use it to model the authorised users attack
surface).  I'm sure if people wanted to develop it in that direction, any
submitted patches would be looked upon favourably though :).

Tim
--
Tim Brown
<mailto:tmb@...35.com>

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)