Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:54:04 -0400
From: Corey Bryant <coreyb@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Security vulnerability tools

Hi,

I'd like to get a better understanding of tools used in the open source
community (kernel and user space) to detect security vulnerabilities.

I have a list below to get started.  If anyone has any input, I'd
appreciate it!

I'll plan on updating http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/tools with
anything it doesn't already have.

pscan
-----
Scans C/C++ source code for problematic uses of printf style functions

rats
----
Rough auditing tool for security.  A general purpose scanner for
detecting potential security problems in a wide range of languages.

flawfinder
----------
A general purpose scanner for finding and reporting upon potential flaws
in both C and C++ source code

Valgrind
--------
Detect many memory management and threading bugs, and profile your
programs in detail

KEDR
----
Provides runtime analysis of Linux kernel modules including device
drivers, file system modules, etc

kmemcheck, kmemleak
-------------------
Linux Kernel debugging features for detecting memory issues

Smatch
------
A static analysis tool for C

Coverity
--------
Provides static analysis tools for C, C++, and other languages (requires
license, Red Hat has one)

Coccinelle
----------
A tool for matching and fixing source code for C, C++, and other languages

Clang
-----
Static analysis tool for C/C++

Metasploit
----------
Used for identifying security issues. It includes many capabilities,
including fuzzer support

Trinity
-------
A Linux system call fuzzer