Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:01:26 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: "Christey, Steven M." <coley@...re.org>
Subject: Re: CVE Request/Guidance: Linux kernel cdc-wdm buffer
 overflow triggered by device

On 03/14/2013 11:36 AM, Christey, Steven M. wrote:
> While perhaps a questionable action in many environments, attaching
> a USB device is a common use case.  The person attaching the device
> has a reasonable expectation that code will NOT be executed, and
> files will NOT be written outside the device, etc. without their
> explicit permission or configuration.  There is also a reasonable
> expectation that the operation of the device will not perform
> actions against the OS without implicit user permission.
>
> So, scenario 1 would clearly require a CVE.
>
> For other scenarios, it should be considered whether the
> user/victim uses a "common" operation that is not obviously
> dangerous.  In scenario 3, clicking on a file in a USB device is a
> common and reasonable operation, and unless that file is an
> executable or otherwise automatically implies code execution, then
> it is likely CVE-worthy if code execution, DoS, or some other
> operation can be performed that is not within the intended
> operation of the device.
>
> I'm not sure I understand scenario 2 well enough to give direct
> advice, but even if the user installing the USB is targeted instead
> of the kernel, then it may qualify for a CVE.
>
> - Steve
>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Eugene Teo
>> [mailto:eugeneteo@...nel.sg] Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:51
>> AM To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com Subject: Re:
>> [oss-security] CVE Request/Guidance: Linux kernel cdc-wdm buffer
>> overflow triggered by device
>>
>> Hi Marcus,
>>
>> On Thursday, 14 March 2013, Marcus Meissner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am wondering ... do we consider attacks with special attack
>>> taylored USB devices as CVE worthy?
>>>
>>> There is only some precedence in the CVE DB, but not much.
>>>
>>> I stumbled over this fix from one of my colleagues where a
>>> specifically made USB device reporting the "cdc-wdm" USB class
>>> could cause a kernel heap overflow.
>>>
>>> "Malicious attached devices" might fall into several
>>> categories:
>>>
>>> 1. Attaching the device causes the issue directly within the
>>> kernel / autoloaded module, without user interaction. (here the
>>> case)
>>>

>>> 2. Attaching the device causes the issue when userspace,
>>> dependend on e.g. desktop system, does initiate a seperate
>>> action (like an automount and then exploitation of something)
>>> (so not direct a kernel, but a kernel + GNOME/KDE
>>> interaction).

A contrived example: you plug in a (fake) evil GPS device which causes
the system to go "oh a GPS device, I'll start up the GPS service, if
said GPS service had a buffer overflow in handling the data sent by
the evil (fake) GPS device could send data that causes code execution.
I know this example (plug GPS device in, GPS service starts) works in
Fedora by default for a few years now. I'm sure there are other
exmaples too.

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993