Openwall GNU/*/Linux - a small security-enhanced Linux distro for servers
[<prev] [next>] [<thread-prev] [thread-next>] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 06:57:23 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: handling of Linux kernel vulnerabilities (was: CVE request - Linux kernel: VFAT slab-based buffer overflow)

Greg,

Note that I am not even asking you to reconsider.  I have little hope
that you would, as you appeared to have a firm opinion on this.
I merely mentioned this aspect, with no intent to prompt a discussion of
it.  That said, I've commented inline, just to clear up your confusion.

Then, in the last paragraph I was actually asking you a question, which
you commented on - thanks!  It looks like I need to clarify it, which I
did below as well.

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 10:12:53AM +0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 05:44:38AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> > In my opinion, it'd be best if Linus, Greg, et al. would reconsider
> > their approach.
> 
> Reconsider just what specifically?

I (and many others) would prefer that you post to oss-security (public)
on the day that you commit a fix.  You have not agreed to that.
Instead, you have agreed to notify linux-distros (private) and ask them
to delay notification to oss-security until some later time.  This is
not great because technically the issue is half-public at commit time.

> You bring up a bunch of issues that
> the distros need to consider, what can the Linux kernel security team do
> differently?

Post to oss-security on commit day.

Optionally, also notify linux-distros a few days before the commit.

> We were asked to notify the linux-distro list,

This was an unfortunate fallback option, after you refused to notify the
oss-security list.

> and now we
> will be doing that.  Should we not and just go back to how things were
> before?

Assuming that you continue to refuse to notify oss-security, the rest of
us in here need to discuss and then decide on whether to accept the
fallback approach with going via linux-distros.  We also need to discuss
the specifics first, as the decision whether to accept this or not may
depend on the specifics.

> > Overall, I think we should bite the bullet and accept sko's
> > notifications to linux-distros, with a grace period of up to 7 days.
> > Whenever a distro is ready to release an update, they should be able to
> > insist on doing so within another 1 day, even if the initially planned
> > grace period would expire later.  Would sko be OK with this?  Greg?
> 
> Again, I don't think anyone that is part of security@...nel.org minds
> about having the issues publicized, after linux-distro has their time
> to get things fixed and to their users.  If the linux-distro people care
> about that, that does not seem to be a security@...nel.org group issue,
> right?

Right, but since you previously refused to notify oss-security right
away, I thought that you could possibly stipulate that you'd only keep
notifying linux-distros if the linux-distros folks keep the issues from
hitting oss-security for at least a certain amount of time, or at least
until fixes are available (from at least one distro? from all?), or
whatever.  If you're fine with letting linux-distros decide on this
fully on their own, and you would not stop notifying linux-distros if
you deem that they fully-disclose the issues publicly "too soon", that's
great (and logical)!

Alexander

Powered by blists - more mailing lists

Your e-mail address:

Please check out the Open Source Software Security Wiki, which is counterpart to this mailing list.

Confused about mailing lists and their use? Read about mailing lists on Wikipedia and check out these guidelines on proper formatting of your messages.