Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:05:20 -0800
From: Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request - Linux kernel: VFAT slab-based
 buffer overflow

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:13:06PM +0100, Petr Matousek wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 06:48:34AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 07:31:30AM +0100, Petr Matousek wrote:
> > > For starters, security@...nel.org submissions should be posted to
> > > oss-security or any other security related public mailing list when
> > > the
> > > patch is being committed.
> >
> > That's not going to happen, and you know that, to do so would be
> > totally
> > irresponsible of us and directly harm your users.  That's what
> > vendor-sec (or whatever it is called now) is for.
>
> linux-distros [1] is vendor-sec replacement for Linux related issues.

Yes, sorry, I couldn't remember the name of it at the moment :)

> > Hasn't that been
> > happening for a while now, or has no one been notifying that list of
> > these issues?
>
> Regrettably no. No notifications of Linux kernel security issues
> reported to security@...nel.org mailing list to linux-distros (former
> vendor-sec) are happening on regular basis. I (speaking as Red Hat
> Security Response Team member in charge of kernel security issues) would
> really appreciate the notifications. Even marking commits that were
> committed as a result of security@...nel.org submission as sko
> originated would be really helpful.
>
> The linux-distros/oss-sec members can make sure that each issue gets CVE
> and it's properly publicly communicated at the right time (preferably
> when the issue is public -- when it is committed).
>
> Should you consider this approach, is there anything I can help with to
> make that happen?

Yes, I need someone to actually do this.  There used to be a Red Hat
security team member that did this, or so I thought.  What happened to
that process?  I'll ask on security@...nel.org if someone wants to
volunteer to do this, but if not, are you, or anyone else you know/trust
willing to do so?

thanks,

greg k-h