Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 00:10:23 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: kernel - sock_diag: Fix out-of-bounds access to sock_diag_handlers[]

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 07:45:01PM +0100, Mathias Krause wrote:
> Did you even try to run the exploit on a v3.2 kernel? Or even more
> simple, looked at the code of a v3.2 kernel?

No.  I think my role in this discussion is to bring up the right
questions and have you answer them, for others to have those answers.
I hope you don't mind. :-)  Personally, I don't care about this specific
bug much (not relevant), but I do care about handling of Linux kernel
bugs in general.

While we're at it, I notice that lately many of us use "kernel" in the
Subject to refer to the Linux kernel.  I wonder if this little detail
makes this mailing list a little less comfortable for non-Linux folks.
Maybe we should put "Linux" or "Linux kernel" into the Subject on those
occasions, not to discourage non-Linux discussions in here.

> There is no sock_diag
> anywhere in the kernel; there is only inet_diag. And inet_diag hadn't
> and still does not have the out-of-bounds access issue. So no, this
> bug is non-existent on a v3.2 kernel.

Thanks!

Alexander