Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 18:19:46 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Michael Koziarski <michael@...iarski.com>,
        rubyonrails-security@...glegroups.com,
        Steven Christey <coley@...re.org>
Subject: Re: Potential Query Manipulation with Common Rails
 Practises

Just a heads up, the CVE situation for these issues is complicated
(multiple languages/interfaces/backends/applications are affected in
various combinations). Mitre is aware of it and working on a response,
so until then I'm holding off on assigning any CVEs.

On 02/06/2013 03:51 PM, Michael Koziarski wrote:
> Common patterns used in Ruby on Rails applications could allow an
> attacker to generate SQL that, when combined with some database
> server's typecasting code, generates queries that match incorrect
> records.
>
> Note: This is a code and best-practise advisory, there is no patch
> to apply or updated version to install.
>
> Databases Affected:  MySQL, SQLServer and some configurations of
> DB2 Not affected:        SQLite, PostgreSQL, Oracle
>
> Outline ------- When comparing two values of differing types most
> databases will either generate an error or return 'false'.  Other
> databases will attempt to convert those values to a common type to
> enable comparison.
>
> For example in MySQL comparing a string with an integer will cast
> the string into an integer.  Given that any string which isn't an
> invalid integer will convert to 0, this could allow an attacker to
> bypass certain queries.
>
> If your application has XML or JSON parameter parsing enabled, an
> attacker will be able to generate queries like this unless you
> take care to typecast your input values.  For example:
>
> User.where(:login_token=>params[:token]).first
>
> Could be made to generate the query:
>
> SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE `login_token` = 0 LIMIT 1;
>
> Which will match the first value which doesn't contain a valid
> integer. This vulnerability affects multiple programming
> languages, and multiple databases, be sure to audit your other
> applications to see if they suffer the same issues.
>
> Work Arounds ------------ There are two options to avoid these
> problems.  The first is to disable JSON and XML parameter parsing.
> Depending on the version of rails you use you will have to place
> one of the following snippets in an application initializer
>
> Rails 3.2, 3.1 and 3.0:
> ActionDispatch::ParamsParser::DEFAULT_PARSERS.delete(Mime::XML)
> ActionDispatch::ParamsParser::DEFAULT_PARSERS.delete(Mime::JSON)
>
> Rails 2.3: ActionController::Base.param_parsers.delete(Mime::XML)
> ActionController::Base.param_parsers.delete(Mime::JSON)
>
> If your application relies on accepting these formats you will have
> to take care to explicitly convert parameters to their intended
> types. For example:
>
> User.where(:login_token=>params[:token].to_s)
>

> Fixes ----- Unfortunately it is not possible for ActiveRecord to
> automatically protect against all instances of this attack due to
> the API we expose. For example:
>
> User.where("login_token = ? AND expires_at > ?", params[:token],
> Time.now)
>
> Without parsing the SQL fragments it is not possible to determine
> what type params[:token] should be cast to.
>
> Future releases of Rails will contain changes to mitigate the risk
> of this class of vulnerability, however as long as this feature is
> still supported this risk will remain.
>
> Credits ------- Thanks to joernchen of Phenoelit for reporting this
> to us and to Jonathan Rudenberg for helping to review the
> [...]

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993