Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 09:55:39 -0700
From: Vincent Danen <vdanen@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: nadhem.alfardan.2009@...l.ac.uk, kenny.paterson@...l.ac.uk,
        cve-assign@...re.org
Subject: Re: CVE request: TLS CBC padding timing flaw in
 various SSL / TLS implementations

* [2013-02-05 16:54:54 +0100] Marcus Meissner wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 10:34:23AM +0100, Matthias Weckbecker wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> has there already been a CVE assigned for the recent "lucky 13" timing
>> flaw that affects various SSL / TLS implementations (including GnuTLS)?
>>
>>   http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/tls/
>>   http://www.gnutls.org/security.html#GNUTLS-SA-2013-1
>>
>> I think this could qualify for CVE for each open source implementation
>> that's prone.
>
>openssl has released updated packages with a CVE assigned, unclear
>whether it covers just openssl or also the others.
>
>http://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20130205.txt

cc'ing cve-assign to see if they can provide some guidance here.  I also
noticed that OpenSSL has a CVE for this (I'm assuming that the
CVE-2012-2686 issue is _not_ the same thing, but that CVE-2013-0169 is
this issue).

Since it's a weakness in TLS/DTLS itself, from my understanding, and not
necessarily in a particular implementation, I'm not sure if this
qualifies as one CVE for the weakness, or if it needs one per
implementation.

MITRE, can someone provide some guidance on this?

--
Vincent Danen / Red Hat Security Response Team