Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 12:47:36 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: "Fabio M. Di Nitto" <fdinitto@...hat.com>,
        Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov@...hat.com>,
        "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>,
        Jan Friesse <jfriesse@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Re: CVE Request -- Corosync (2.0 <= X < 2.3):
 Remote DoS due improper HMAC initialization

On 02/01/2013 09:37 AM, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> On 02/01/2013 05:26 PM, Jan Lieskovsky wrote:
>> Hello Kurt, Steve, vendors,
>>
>> Corosync upstream has recently released 2.0.3 version correcting
>> one security issue:
>
> No, this version is not correct.
>
> corosync >= 2.0 to < 2.3 are affected.
>
> corosync 2.3 and higher have the fix.
>
> Also, the DoS reason is not correct. The junk filter part is a
> consequence on how libnss work and should be dropped.
>
> Subject should be:
>
> "CVE Request -- Corosync (2.0 <= X < 2.3): Remote DoS due improper
> HMAC initialization"
>

>> A denial of service flaw was found in the way Corosync, the
>> cluster engine and application programming interfaces, performed
>> processing of certain network packets, when different encryption
>> keys were used. Previously the HMAC key was not initialized
>> properly, which allowed certain packets to pass through to the
>> internal phases of the Corosync packet validation process,
>> possibly leading to corosync daemon crash.
>
> I explained this in details and this description is not accurate.
>
> "A remote denial of service flaw was found in the way Corosync,
> the cluster engine and application programming interfaces,
> performed processing of network packets. Previously the HMAC key
> was not initialized properly, which allowed random targeted packets
> to be processed by the internal process of corosync and possibly
> leading to a daemon crash".

Please use CVE-2013-0250  for this issue.

>> The HMAC initialization has been corrected in upstream via: [5]
>> https://github.com/corosync/corosync/commit/b3f456a8ceefac6e9f2e9acc2ea0c159d412b595

but there might be more changes needed (Cc-in Fabio and Jan).

> 2 missing:
>
> https://github.com/corosync/corosync/commit/55dc09ea237482f827333759fd45608bc9518d64

https://github.com/corosync/corosync/commit/ebb007a16c6a8d9e6f783ed82b324cb232c64be5

Thanks for the additional info.

> Thanks Fabio

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993