Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 13:32:33 +0100
From: Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@...ian.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CVE request: hs-tls: Basic constraints vulnerability

Hi

For hs-tls (TLS/SSL implementation in haskell) it was announced the following
advisory[0]:

----cut---------cut---------cut---------cut---------cut---------cut-----
Hi cafe,

this is a security advisory for tls-extra < 0.6.1 which are all vulnerable to bad
certificate validation.

Some part of the certificate validation procedure were missing (relying on the
work-in-progress x509 v3 extensions), and because of this anyone with a correct
end-entity certificate can issue certificate for any arbitrary domain, i.e.
acting as a CA.

This problem has been fixed in tls-extra 0.6.1, and I advise everyone to upgrade as
soon as possible.

Despite a very serious flaw in the certificate validation, I'm happy that the
code is seeing some audits, and would want to thanks Ertugrul Söylemez for the
findings [1].

[1] https://github.com/vincenthz/hs-tls/issues/29

According to the upstream issue it should be fixed with commit [2].

 [0]: http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2013-January/105842.html
 [2]: https://github.com/vincenthz/hs-tls/commit/15885c0649ceabd2f4d2913df8ac6dc63d6b3b37

Could a CVE for this issue be assigned?

Regards,