Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:14:26 +0100
From: Moritz Naumann <oss-security@...itz-naumann.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: henri@...v.fi, security@...plemachines.org, irist.ir@...il.com
Subject: Re: Dispute CVE-2012-5903 SMF index.php scheduled-parameter
 XSS

On 31.12.2012 11:42 Henri Salo wrote:
[..]
> Until someone provides a working PoC I dispute this issue. SMF hasn't replied to my emails about this. Please note there is several comments[1][2] in forums about this too.

[..]
> It's not a security vulnerability if attacker already has administrator access to the application. Should we REJECT CVE-2012-5903?

Based on the authors' description it would seem more likely that the
attack would use social engineering to trick the legitimate forum admin
into accessing this URL with a payload in it, which would then trigger
in his browser and disclose the admins' session cookie to an attacker by
means of cross site scripting. Like you, I don't see how the value
passed to the "scheduled" parameter would be echoed out, though.

While it doesn't directly impact treatment of this latest report, I'd
like to point out that there has been a previous report by the same
author on the same product back in october, which I was also unable to
reproduce: