Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 19:45:24 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, seth.arnold@...onical.com
Subject: Re: Strange CVE situation (at least one ID should
 come of this)

On 10/29/2012 04:01 PM, Seth Arnold wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 02:01:24PM -0600, Kurt Seifried wrote:
>> So the first question I have is:
>>
>> Q1) Do we need to audit software to prove that it is vulnerable?
>> Or is a statistical model enough? e.g. for PHP based web plugins,
>> not
>
> I can't argue against the statistical model though it does rather
> reduce the value of CVE as naming a specific vulnerability if they
> start getting assigned for "eww this smells". There may be one
> easily exploitable remote root flaw, there may be thousands of
> reliability and information disclosure flaws, but hiding them all
> under one "old and stinky" CVE doesn't feel like a significant
> improvement.

Right but the problem is people aren't going to audit these stinky old
softwares to find CVE's, it's just not worth it mostly (what's the
incentive?).

>> We can assign a CVE with a description along the lines of
>> "Software X has not been actively maintained since release Y on
>> date Z. Software X is comprised of some stuff and built in
>> language Z which is known to commonly result in security flaws
>> (possibly list what kind, e.g. XSS/buffer overflow, etc.)." Maybe
>> start with a generic cut off date of say 5 years, and start
>> listing stuff as people find/notice them. If a program ever comes
>> back into maintenance and release a new version then the old CVE
>> would be there as a warning, and moving forwards people would be
>> able to make a much more informed choice.
>
> To turn this on its head: qmail is an MTA (historically trouble)
> written in C (historically trouble) and has not had a stable
> release in 14 years (going strictly by Wikipedia).
>
> But I do not think qmail deserves a CVE simply by this basis.

Hence the model. You take things into account like what language was
used, what the software does, it's track record, and the person/team
writing it and so on. In this case DJB has a pretty good track record,
so statistically speaking qmail is on the safer side and probably
doesn't need a CVE anytime soon. This isn't simple "if release >=5
years assign cve=true" =).

>> In effect this would be a blacklist/greylist of software, and by
>> using CVE it would be able to piggy back on the existing CVE
>> ecosystem (no better word to use), e.g. scanners would pick up
>> the old versions and
>
> I'll grant that the CVE ecosystem is large and potentially very
> powerful Force For Good, if deployed this way.
>
> But when a consumer asks, "Is CVE-2013-F00F fixed?" and the answer
> is "one guy put together three releases the last two months, fixing
> one bug each", what _is_ the answer? "Yes" because there is a
> responsive maintainer? Or "No" because probability dictates there
> is likely more cruft yet to be found? Or "No" because two months is
> insufficient data to draw a conclusion?

1) I suspect we'll be assigning this to very dead software so I think
it's highly unlikely that any updates ever got shipped.
2) if it happens it's basically "fixed" by the new release. but again
I seriously doubt we'll run into this anytime soon.

>> I realize this looks a LOT like feature creep with respect to
>> CVE, but I think it falls into the definition of a vulnerability
>> closely enough that it makes sense/won't result in a huge mess. I
>> can of course see
>
> I like the specificity of today's CVE.

Me too. But this is already being heavily eroded by firms like Oracle:

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=unknown

The reality is we already have hundreds of CVE entries with absolutely
no significant details other than a product name and version and vague
terms as whether or not Confidentiality/Accessibility/Integrity might
be affected.

> I also think your idea has merit -- there is too much never-loved
> software out there -- but I don't think CVE is the correct lever
> to attack it.

The problem is we have this ecosystem of CVE software from scanners
like Nessus to firms like iDefense/iSIGHT. Using CVE would quickly
give this old and problematic software problems high visibility, CVE is:

"International in scope and free for public use, CVE is a dictionary
of publicly known information security vulnerabilities and exposures."

> Thanks

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993