Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 13:20:20 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: Raphael Geissert <geissert@...ian.org>
CC: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request - mcrypt buffer overflow flaw

On 10/02/2012 12:42 PM, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Kurt,
>
> I think at least one more CVE id needs to be assigned:
>
> On Saturday 15 September 2012 19:22:06 Raphael Geissert wrote:
>> On Tuesday 11 September 2012 10:19:38 Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:

>> Another week, another couple of patches. One makes it use strncpy
>> and forces a NUL on the last byte of local_algorithm, local_mode,
>> and local_keymode. Their values are checked later on, so it seems
>> safe to pass unvalidated data. The size of the buffers is
>> hard-coded to avoid making many changes to the code.
>
> I think this needs a separate id, since fixes were released by
> Fedora and Debian referencing CVE-2012-4409 but only for the
> original report.
>
> Eygene's followup issues have been fixed in Debian without
> referencing a CVE id.

Can you post a link to source fixes/commits? Thanks.

>> Once those issues were fixed I noticed that salt_size is not
>> initialized if the salt flag is not set. The result is an
>> inconditional call to malloc, with an uninitialized int as
>> argument. This can lead to a non-attacker-controlled memory
>> consumption DoS in most cases. It makes me think nobody actually
>> ever used it without a salt.
>
> I've no strong opinion on whether this deserves an id.
>
> Cheers,

Hrmm there's a thought, has this DoS been confirmed? As we've probably
seen over the last year more than a few sites fail to salt their
stored passwords =(.

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993