Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:35:06 +0200
From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To: Jeff Law <law@...hat.com>
CC: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
        Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov@...hat.com>,
        "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>,
        Jakub Jelinek <jakub@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: CVE Request -- glibc: strcoll() integer overflow
 leading to buffer overflow + another alloca() stack overflow issue (upstream
 #14547 && #14552)

>>> http://linux.die.net/man/3/alloca

> Just because it's known/expected behaviour doesn't mean it's not a
> potential attack vector.  Blowing out the stack is definitely a vector
> for attack:

I agree.  If the frame address leaks or can be deduced, an unbounded
alloca (or VLA) can be abused as a POKE.  I think this might apply in
this case because the writes to the allocated memory area are incremental.