Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 11:51:16 +0400
From: Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-sec@...elabs.ru>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: php header() header injection detection bypass

Good day.

Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 05:42:14PM -0500, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> All the bug reports I mentioned are about exactly the same issue. The non-
> public ones have been marked as duplicates of the public one.
>
> I'm aware of at least 5.4.0 RC5 containing the incomplete fix[1], but I don't
> know in which exact RC version it made its way into. 5.4.0 beta2 was still
> vulnerable to CVE-2011-1398.
>
> PHP 5.4.1 RC1 already had the proper fix.

As for PHP 5.3/5.2, the three patches are of concern,
 [1] http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-src/branches/PHP_5_3/main/SAPI.c?r1=321634&r2=322263
 [2] http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-src/trunk/main/SAPI.c?r1=321634&r2=323033
 [3] http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-src/branches/PHP_5_4/main/SAPI.c?r1=323986&r2=323985&pathrev=323986

First one still has the possibility of injecting '\r' before the first '\n'.
The second one kills the protection for the NUL byte check, so it won't
allow header splitting for Apache SAPI, but FastCGI stuff will be affected,
as per Stefan Esser's assessment,
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.php.devel/70584
Third one fixes the issue.

The check for 5.3 tags yields:
 - 5.3.11, https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/704bbb3263d0ec9a6b4a767bbc516e55388f4b0e/main/SAPI.c#L593
   has the issue completely fixed
 - 5.3.10, https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/e4afa14812d10da7413096c742470fb0582ebc95/main/SAPI.c#L593
   has none of the mentioned fixes.

The check for 5.2 tags shows that
 - 5.2.17, https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/dabfd7727f5496ebd913488f6a996117f8597686/main/SAPI.c
   has none of the mentioned fixes.

So, seems like we have the following vulnerable main versions:
  5.2.0 <= php < 5.3.11, 5.4.0 <= php < 5.4.1.
--
Eygene