Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 15:35:01 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: frosch <frosch@...nttd.org>
Subject: Re: CVE request for OpenTTD

On 07/28/2012 04:53 AM, frosch wrote:

>> On 07/27/2012 03:42 PM, frosch wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> we, the OpenTTD developers, have identified a security
>>> vulnerability in OpenTTD (an open source game with
>>> multiplayer). Would you be so kind as to allocate a CVE id for
>>> this issue?
>>>
>>> The issue concerns a denial of service vulnerabilty which
>>> enables an attacker to force the server into an invalid game
>>> state. The server will abort upon detecting this state. This
>>> attack can be performed using an unmodified client via normal
>>> game interaction. The attack requires authorization, but most
>>> servers do not implement authorization. The first vulnerable
>>> version is 0.6.0, the upcoming 1.2.2 release will have the
>>> issue fixed.
>>>
>>> Once a CVE id is allocated, the issue and fix will be
>>> documented at http://security.openttd.org/CVE-2012-xxxx
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance, Christoph 'frosch' Elsenhans
>>>
>>> (Please CC me, I'm not subscribed)
>>
>> Sorry can you please provide links to an advisory, code commit,
>> or something so we have a reference?
>>
> trunk commit: http://vcs.openttd.org/svn/changeset/24439/ Bug
> report: http://bugs.openttd.org/task/5254
>
> Later on http://security.openttd.org/CVE-2012-xxxx will supply
> patches for all vulnerable versions, and also link to the bug
> tracker and related commits.
>
> Regards

Perfect, thanks. Please use CVE-2012-3436 for this issue.

P.S. with respect to "In some cases ships could be covered with land."
couldn't the ship sail into a cave or over hanging cliff? ;)

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993