Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 14:28:58 +0200
From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@...e.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>,
	Keegan McAllister <mcallister.keegan@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Automatic binary hardening with Autoconf

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 08:13:31AM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:

> > Also interesting are the performance impact numbers (up to 30%), which
> > are far worse than those I've seen posted before (up to 5.8%):
> >
> > http://d-sbd.alioth.debian.org/www/?page=pax_pie
>
> This is because the stack canary is a random number. Imagine adding a "function
> call" between every intended function call to grab a random number. Because of
> this, we want sensible security. You have to live with the performance hit or
> have some heuristic that you use to decide which apps get the special treatment.

The stack random number is coming via AT_RANDOM ELF aux vector, but
yes, the %gs:xxx -> stack write based setup is of course swallowing time.

> Also, I have been studying the stack-protector, FORTIFY_SOURCE, ASLR (which is
> how I found the ASLR bypass for fs capability programs recently), and RELRO. It
> turns out there are many holes in the protection we all expect is working. Not
> mentioned in the blog is the fact that with compiler optimizations being on,
> stack-protector and FORTIFY_SOURCE do not work. There are many other loopholes,
> like an array of structs do not get any stack-protector treatment. Nor do arrays
> of ints. And the stack-protector is only checked on function exit. So, you may
> have a function that gets overflowed and passes corrupted variables around and it
> may do something irreversable like call execve or create a file based on those.

Yes, some stuff can get the -fstack-protector-all treatment for this to facilitate
all function, but of course most of your notes still apply.

It is a heuristic, and getting it more complete might be easy, or might get
difficult.

> We found that compiler flags alone were not enough. For example, if you want to
> set partial RELRO to be the default, there are a large number of programs which
> do not take the LD_FLAGS environmental variable. The common fix appears to be to
> patch binutils to add partial RELRO on all linking.

SUSE has changed binutils on our request to default to "-z relro",
so applications do not need to care about that anymore.

"-z now" we did not dare to force yet, as it does cause slow downs.

> I created a shell script that can be used to "grade" an installed system based
> on my own policy. http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/files/rpm-chksec
>
> This will take an rpm name as input and verify each ELF file to see if its
> compiled with the intended flags to most effectively use PIE and RELRO. Green is
> good, Orange could use work but is acceptable, and Red needs fixing. It has a
> mode --all that is the equivalent of using rpm -qa and feeding the packages to
> it. In this mode it will only give a summary result for the package. To find
> which files don't comply, re-run using just the package name.

Hook it into rpmlint ... :)

Ciao, Marcus