Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 05:52:08 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Using FreeBSD Capsicum for program and library sandboxing

Hi,

A couple of days ago, Ben Laurie posted to the Secure Coding list about
using FreeBSD's experimental Capsicum support in the kernel to sandbox
bzip2 and libtiff ("wrapping it such that the calling application is
unaware it is wrapped") - as two initial examples, I presume.  I found
this very interesting.

Ben's blog post on bzip2, showing 13 steps (separate git commits, kind
of a tutorial) that were needed to sandbox bzip2:

http://www.links.org/?p=1242

Secure Coding list posting also mentioning the work on libtiff:

http://krvw.com/pipermail/sc-l/2012/002801.html

Secure Coding mailing list (SC-L):

http://www.securecoding.org/list/

Alexander