Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 11:45:34 +0200
From: Tomas Hoger <thoger@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org
Subject: Re: PHP-CGI query string parameter vulnerability
 (CVE-2012-1823 / CVE-2012-2311, CERT VU#520827)

On Sat, 5 May 2012 00:22:19 +0400 Solar Designer wrote:

> I guess most of you have heard of this one already, yet it should be
> in here as well.  The original issue was tracked as CERT VU#520827,
> CVE-2012-1823.  PHP 5.4.2 and 5.3.12 were released with an incomplete
> fix, and apparently CVE-2012-2311 refers to that incomplete fix issue.
>
> http://eindbazen.net/2012/05/php-cgi-advisory-cve-2012-1823/
> http://www.php-security.net/archives/11-Mitigation-for-CVE-2012-1823-CVE-2012-2311.html
> http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/520827
> http://www.reddit.com/r/PHP/comments/t3pr8/how_serious_is_this/
> http://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/t4lxw/phpcgi_query_string_parameter_vulnerability_leads/
> http://www.metasploitminute.com/2012/05/cve-2012-1823-php-cgi-bug.html
> http://www.opennet.ru/opennews/art.shtml?num=33765 (in Russian)

The incomplete fix part seems to have got bit messy, at least with
respect to CVE assignment.  Following issues were fixed in 5.4.3 /
5.3.13 that were not covered by 5.4.2 / 5.3.12 fixes.

1) Incorrect detection of = in query string, that made it possible to
bypass the fix using %3D.  This was addressed by:

-       if(*decoded_query_string == '-' && strchr(decoded_query_string, '=') == NULL) {
+       if(*decoded_query_string == '-' && strchr(query_string, '=') == NULL) {

which is noted as Mitigation option 3 in De Eindbazen's blog.
Following the timeline / updates there, this should be what triggered
CVE-2012-2311 assignment.

2) The fix from 1) did not address the problem for use cases where
"unsafe" wrapper script, similar to the one pointed out in De
Eindbazen's blog, is used.  It seems that was first mentioned in
Christopher Kunz's (php-security.net) blog mentioning that the PHP
re-fix is still incomplete, though it's questionable if this is to be
considered a PHP flaw.  Upstream warned about this insecure wrapper
script problem:

http://www.php.net/archive/2012.php#id2012-05-06-1

and even added a fix / work around for it to PHP:

http://git.php.net/?p=php-src.git;a=blob;f=sapi/cgi/cgi_main.c;h=a7ac26f0#l1569

3) The fix from 1) only made PHP skip one php_getopt() call out of two
that are reachable in the CGI mode (the third php_getopt() call is in
the if (!cgi && !fastcgi) block).  As the consequence, PHP was still
parsing following arguments:

- -h / -? - this seems harmless, as makes PHP output usage info, which
  triggers Internal Server Error in httpd
- -T - this was mentioned as DoS vector:

https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=61910#1336220802
http://www.php-security.net/archives/9-New-PHP-CGI-exploit-CVE-2012-1823.html

The impact of this is rather limited as clients needs to consume all
generated output too keep this running.  May offer some advantage of
simple many requests DoS e.g. Keep-Alive is disabled and there's per-IP
connection limit.

This is upstream commit that was used in 5.4.2 / 5.3.12:

http://git.php.net/?p=php-src.git;a=commitdiff;h=168e8920be77f3b55a3ae688270b752579681f6e

and this is correction from 5.4.3 / 5.3.13:

http://git.php.net/?p=php-src.git;a=commitdiff;h=000e84aa88ce16deabbf61e7086fc8db63ca88aa

(both links are for PHP-5.3 branch commits).

I'm not sure if there is any standard approach to using "incomplete
fix" CVE(s) in cases like this.  Should CVE-2012-2311 only be used for
1), or for all changes upstream did in 5.4.3 / 5.3.13?

It should be noted that vendors updates released so far (Ubuntu, SUSE,
RHEL) only have 1) fixed, and some (Ubuntu, SUSE) even mention
CVE-2012-2311.  If CVE-2012-2311 is expected to be used for all fixes
1) - 3), there's probably a need for new non-upstream CVE to cover 3)
and possibly 2) (as mentioned above, it's not really PHP flaw :).

CCing cve-assign@...re for a guidance.

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Security Response Team