Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 02:10:03 +0200
From: Nico Golde <oss-security+ml@...lde.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE id request for links2

Hi,
* Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com> [2012-04-10 21:56]:
> On 04/09/2012 08:43 PM, Nico Golde wrote:
[...]
> > I discovered some out of memory accesses in links2 graphics mode
> > that could be potentially used to run exploits. I fixed them in
> > links-2.6. For Debian Squeeze, I am sending this patch that
> > backports the fixes to links-2.3pre1. Apply the patch and
> > distribute patched packages links and links2 through
> > security.debian.org.
> >

> > [...] This patch fixes:
> >
> > Buffer overflow when pasting too long text from clipboard to dialog
> > boxes (not remotely exploitable)
>
> Can this result in code execution?

I am not sure about this one.
For out of memory write in dip.c, my guess is yes, it is basically possible to
write past an allocated buffer. Even though I can't tell you what data would
reside in that area.
For the xbm decoder, the problem has basically been that xbm_decode() did not
indicate an error when decoding xbm images and thus the callers would continue
to operate on the parsed structures even though the image is faulty.

Cheers
Nico
--
Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - nion@...ber.ccc.de - GPG: 0xA0A0AAAA