Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 13:42:23 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>,
        "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: running the distros lists

> I think that ideally the person would (try to) identify the upstreams,
> downstreams, and other affected projects to contact, ask the reporter
> for approval, upon the approval inform those other projects that there's
> a security issue and ask them if they'd like more info and if they're OK
> with the proposed maximum embargo period (CC'ing the list on those
> preliminary notifications), and if they accept then finally pass the
> actual info on to them (also CC'ing the list) and add them to the CC
> list on further correspondence.

Can we also maintain a public database of upstream contacts? I seem to
remember a few different efforts to do this but can't find anything
current. This would save a ton of time. It would of course have to be
maintained (maybe a scheme like emailing the people listed every few
months and offering a "click here to confirm you're still the security
contact" and a "click here to be removed as the contact" to help keep it
up to date). Also things like PGP keys/etc would be nice to have in
this. It strikes me that this would actually be a valuable project for
Mitre, similar to CPE, maybe the "SCE" ("Security Contact Enumeration")?

As anyone trying to notify multiple upstreams knows, it can be a
horribly painful process.

--
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)