Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:54:17 +0200
From: Henri Salo <henri@...v.fi>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: MySQL 0-day - does it need a CVE?

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:36:46AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 10:09:44PM +0200, Henri Salo wrote:
> > Oracle MySQL Server CVE-2012-0492 Remote MySQL Server Vulnerability ??? http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/51516
>
> Why this one?
>
> The table at the bottom of:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/cpujan2012-366304.html
>
> lists 27 MySQL vulnerabilities, all with CVE IDs and CVSS scoring - but
> little other info.  CVE-2012-0492 is one of them, but it does not stand
> out.  (And I have no idea what it actually is, just like I have no idea
> about the remaining 26.)
>
> "This Critical Patch Update contains 27 new security fixes for Oracle
> MySQL.  1 of these vulnerabilities may be remotely exploitable without
> authentication, i.e., may be exploited over a network without the need
> for a username and password."
>
> That one is CVE-2011-2262, but per CVSS scoring it's just a DoS.
>
> I wish we had more info.
>
> Alexander

Sory for not being clear. I am not sure what the CVE-identifier is as I told in my last email to this thread. New cases I have seen: http://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2011-2262 http://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2012-0492 latter link with a list of "a different vulnerability than". I do NOT have any facts about these vulnerabilities. I hope Oracle coordinates issues like these with MITRE/US-CERT and adds more information to advisory and CVE after these are 100% public and distros are ready.

- Henri Salo