Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 22:00:24 -0500
From: Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: distros & linux-distros embargo period and message format

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 08:26:26PM -0500, Michael Gilbert wrote:
>> I think the important aspect here is the transparency of the private
>> discussion (after an appropriate delay), rather than the length of the
>> delay itself.
>
> Thank you for sharing your opinion.
>
> Yet the delay itself matters too.  There are different opinions as to
> whether it is "the important aspect" or not.

That's why I think its more appropriate to defer such decisions to the
researcher who understands the complexity of the problem at hand (of
course hopefully allowing negotiation with those affected to choose a
disclosure date that can be met).

>> That can be set by the researcher (with some reasonable
>> maximum, like a month).
>>
>> We all should be able to see what is going on over in the closed list.
>>  Although it is unlikely being used for nefarious purposes (hiding
>> issues permanently, etc.), transparency (after a delay) is the only
>> way to show that it is not.  Anyway, 30 days seems appropriate.
>
> I don't mind.  Like I said, I need a tool - a program to mass-decrypt a
> PGP/MIME mbox, producing another mbox.  I think such a program might be
> generally useful.  Well, or alternatively I need to introduce a
> different mechanism for the archive - not treat it as a regular
> subscriber like I intended to.

Completely unfleshed out, but a pseudo-bash script along the lines of
the following should do it:

  echo "" > newmbox
  gpg-agent --allow-preset-passphrase
  /usr/lib/gnupg2/gpg-preset-passphrase --preset <cache id>
  cat mbox | while read line; do
      test <header> && echo $line >> /tmp/header
      test <body> && echo $line >> /tmp/body
      if [ <end off body> ]; then
          cat /tmp/header >> newmbox
          cat /tmp/body | gpg --decrypt >> newmbox
      fi
  done
  /usr/lib/gnupg2/gpg-preset-passphrase --forget

Obviously a bit more work there to figure out appropriate conditionals
to put in the angle brackets.

Best wishes,
Mike