Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 08:54:50 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: distros & linux-distros embargo period and message format

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 09:17:39PM -0700, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> Is something changing to significantly increase this risk that
> we (the community) are unaware of?

As far as I'm aware, no - it's all the same concerns and reasoning that
we had e.g. 10 years ago.

> You allude to:
>
> "Why I am making this proposal now: this is triggered by a certain
> off-list discussion I just had; unfortunately, the other party does not
> permit me to post more about it."
>
> Which is awfully vague.

Unfortunately, yes.  Well, I can add that it's just a person's negative
opinion on what we're doing with these closed lists, with reasoning -
and nothing more.

> I think it's important for there to be openness,
> transparency and honesty in this process or else it won't work.

I fully agree.  However, when someone e-mails potentially helpful
comments to me yet does not permit me to post them to the list, what
options do I have?  Stop the discussion right there - either we discuss
this in public or not at all?  I guess for some topics I would do just
that, but I felt that this one did not cross that line.

> Like you
> pointed out earlier vendors may choose to stop playing together, which
> would REALLY not be good for the vendors or the Open Source community
> long term.

That's my opinion too.

Yet I needed to bring the topic up.  I was not 100% sure that some
vendors currently on the list would find 7-11 days unacceptable.  Being
90% sure was not enough.

I've noticed a decrease in embargo periods over time - I think for
vendor-sec the average might have been 14 days if not more, whereas now
it might be down to 10-12 days or so (excluding the hash DoS thing).
So we turned the old average into the new maximum.  I thought that maybe
we were ready for the "next level" - but it seems not.  Maybe later?

Alexander