Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:04:25 -0500 (EST)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...-smtp.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE id assignment dates

Alexander,

This misconception is, unfortunately, all too common.  I will look into
ways of changing it on the CVE web site.

The Assigned date, strictly defined, is the date on which the specific CVE
*number* was first created and "committed" to the CVE database.  There is
no guaranteed relationship between the public disclosure date and the
Assigned date.

When a CNA receives a pool of numbers, the Assigned date is when that pool
was created by MITRE.  A CNA pool is just a list of CVE numbers that
aren't even associated with a specific vulnerability.

When MITRE reserves a CVE candidate for an independent, non-CNA party, the
"Assigned" date reflects the day that we reserved the candidate - which is
sometimes before the issue is published, and sometimes even before the
vendor is notified.

In other cases, MITRE independently assigns new CVEs for already-disclosed
vulnerabilities, and the Assigned date reflects when we created those
CVEs.  In this case, the Assigned date can be AFTER the original
disclosure date.

We do not publish any dates related to disclosure, patch, or vendor
notification; interested parties can consult other databases that
explicitly track this information, such as OSVDB.

- Steve