Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 01:12:18 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Status of two Linux kernel issues w/o CVE assignments

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 01:52:24PM -0700, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 09:44 AM, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> >2: /proc/$PID/{sched,schedstat} information leak
> >Vasiliy Kulikov of OpenWall posted a demo exploit.
> >http://openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2011/11/05/3
> >
> >AFAICS no CVE ID was assigned to this?
>
> I believe we are not assigning CVE's for these types of proc related
> issues, some discussion was had:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/2/7/368

For "these types" (what types?) of proc related issues, or for all
infoleak issues related to procfs?  To me, a timing attack based on data
in a world-readable proc file is totally different from a data leak via
fd preserved across SUID exec.  Thus, a CVE (non-)assignment decision
for one of these should have nothing to do with CVE (non-)assignment for
the other.

Alexander