Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:42:24 -0500 (EST)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...-smtp.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request -- Squid v3.1.16 -- Invalid free by
 processing CNAME DNS record pointing to another CNAME record pointing to an
 empty A-record

In general, an attacker-triggered crash in any type of product that acts
as an "intermediary" between two parties - such as a proxy, firewall, mail
server, anti-virus, etc. - is typically counted as a vulnerability for
CVE, since the crash of the intermediary may cause many active sessions to
be lost, not just the session for the attacker.  Add repeated crashes and
you can have a substantive DoS on your hands.

For "passive" intermediaries like IDS and sniffers that just monitor
traffic, a crash/DoS can lead to loss of visibility/awareness (passing
traffic doesn't get captured), which can allow an attacker to hide
activities.

- Steve