Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 12:13:39 +0400
From: Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: radvd 1.8.2 released with security fixes

Hi Huzaifa,

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 10:15 +0530, Huzaifa Sidhpurwala wrote:
> I dont think so. From the code i have read so far, here is what
> seems to happen.
>
> - radvd starts as root
> - reads the configs
> - if a username is specified (user=radvd in most cases):
> 	- if "--singleprocess" is not specified:
> 		- run privsep_init(): This forks another process which
> 		  runs as root. So after this point we have two
> 		  processes both running as root
> 		- If privsep_init() fails, we have just one process
> 		  running as root
> 	- run drop_root_privileges():
> 		If this succedes, we have two processes one running as
> 		root and another as radvd user, or if privsep_init()
> 		failed earlier, we have one process running as radvd
> 		user.
> 		If this fails, application quits
> - If username was not specified radvd continues to run as a single
> process as root.
>

> So failure in privsep_init() results in just one process running as
> radvd user. If it did not fail it would result in one process
> running as root and another as radvd user.
>
> I dont think this would be a security issue in my opinion.

Indeed, if privsep_init() fails the only visible change would be no
future changes to interface settings.  I was misled by the option name -
it looks like privsep disabling (opposition to --username), but in
reality it totally disables privileged operations.

Thanks for spotting it, I think CVE-2011-3603 should be rejected.

--
Vasiliy