Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 13:47:29 +0000
From: Zeev Suraski <zeev@...d.com>
To: Pierre Joye <pierre.php@...il.com>
CC: Vincent Danen <vdanen@...hat.com>, "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com"
	<oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>, "security@....net" <security@....net>,
	Stas Malyshev <smalyshev@...arcrm.com>
Subject: RE: CVE request: is_a() function may allow arbitrary code execution
 in PHP 5.3.7/5.3.8

There aren't any security issues in PHP in that context.  Assigning a CVE to PHP in that context would create the impression that there is indeed an issue in PHP here.
It's not a matter of who's 'guilty' in terms of positioning - but in terms of where the actual security issue resides.  And it does not reside in PHP.
So I agree with Stas, it doesn't make sense to have a CVE here.  Otherwise, almost every change we make, including bug fixes, could somehow result in some faulty piece of code somewhere becoming vulnerable to something.

Zeev