Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:49:41 +0200
From: Pierre Joye <pierre.php@...il.com>
To: Stas Malyshev <smalyshev@...arcrm.com>
Cc: Vincent Danen <vdanen@...hat.com>,
	"oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>, "security@....net" <security@....net>
Subject: Re: CVE request: is_a() function may allow arbitrary code execution
 in PHP 5.3.7/5.3.8

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Stas Malyshev <smalyshev@...arcrm.com> wrote:

> I'm concerned that if we do it this way people would take it as "PHP has
> security bug in is_a and it was fixed in this version, so as long as we run
> updated version we're OK", not "my code has gaping security hole which by
> pure luck wasn't exploitable but minor change made it exploitable". If we
> don't make it crystal clear the latter and not the former is the case, we'd
> have same problem with 5.4.

That's a valid concern however it is another matter.

My suggestion would be:

- get a CVE and assign it to the bug

- be sure to get the right information in the CVE
  .  about why it is not a flaw in php itself per se but a behavior
change that could introduce a flaw in existing php scripts
     . these php scripts were not following our guidance or good practice guide

- Be sure we update the upgrade guide, the NEWS file, the
documentation and the announce to clearly explain and define this
problem and its consequences

Cheers,
--
Pierre