Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:57:39 +0200
From: Sebastian Krahmer <krahmer@...e.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request - dhcp clients

Can you point us to the exact version and location in code where
the vulnerability is? I remember to have checked udhcpc at that
time and neither I found it setting a hostname or parsing
the options for a hostname.
The hostname it is using must be passed on the commandline
and are rather added to the request than parsed from a reply.

While we are on the hostname issue again, AFAIR the kernel contains
a DHCP client and was accepting hostname options so it could
theoretically be attacked the same way as with dhclient. However
this seems only a use-case for thin clients with NFS-root
or so and in such a case you can execute code on the client anyways.
So its not really worth fixing, except for vendors which lock
down their embedded devices before shipping it to their customers, but
who is doing that? :)

Sebastian

--

~ perl self.pl