Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 04:15:59 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CFP SecurityByte India

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:41:52AM +0530, Papers, Call For wrote:
> The first round of speakers have been selected for Securitybyte, please
> follow us on twitter @securitybyte to get the latest updates on speakers and
> event.

I almost rejected this CFP (for lack of Open Source focus and for being
a cross-post), but then decided that maybe it was time to bring the
topic up once again.

Yes, we're still receiving CFPs once in a while, and most are of little
relevance to the oss-security list specifically, but not of no relevance
at all.  Ditto for announcements of new issues of various e-magazines.

So far, my policy has been to selectively approve some of them - where
some relevance to Open Source security can be seen from the posting
itself (without having to follow any links).  Other moderators of
oss-security appear to do nothing about them, neither approve nor
reject, which kind of confirms the uncertainty there is regarding
whether this kind of content is welcome in here or not.

Here's my question: should we continue like that, with decisions made on
a case-by-case basis, or should we possibly start rejecting all CFPs and
e-magazine issue announcements unconditionally?

And should this specific CFP for SecurityByte have been approved (as an
example)?  Did anyone in here find it useful for themselves?  Please do
let me know if you did!  If not a single person did, then perhaps it
should have been rejected.  So if no one says they found this one
useful, I'll likely reject a similar one arriving in the future.

It does feel somewhat weird to have SecurityByte mentioned in here, yet
not have similar announcements of larger cons (such as DEFCON), and it
would be unreasonable to have every con's CFP posted in here (this is
not what this list is for).

Opinions are welcome.

Alexander