Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 06:49:52 -0400
From: Dan Rosenberg <dan.j.rosenberg@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov@...hat.com>, "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>,
	Secunia Research <vuln@...unia.com>
Subject: Re: Re: CVE Request -- libsndfile -- Integer overflow
 by processing certain PAF files

> In terms of ease of exploitation, this one has to be in the very difficult
> basket.

I agree, this would be difficult to exploit.

>> It's better to be safe than sorry.
>
> That's why I rushed out a new release. I do take this seriously, but
> I do not like to see the threat exaggerated beyond reason.

I didn't mean to imply we should be panicking and running for the
hills. Just that the assessment that this is *potentially* exploitable
for code execution is accurate and is most helpful to distributions
and users when gauging risk and determining when to release and apply
updates.

-Dan