Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 19:03:25 +0200
From: Alvaro Lopez Ortega <alvaro@...ality.com>
To: Jamie Strandboge <jamie@...onical.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Security issue in cherokee

Hello Jamie,

First of all, thanks for the notice.

I've been thinking about this, and I must confess I haven't found a suitable
solution to the problem. I have even written a patch that mitigates the
issue, although it isn't still the proper solution. Allow me to elaborate a
little bit:

   - Cherokee-admin already puts a security cookie in place. The back-end
   checks on every single requests (GET and POST). Of course this does not
   solve the problem. Since the browser already knows the cookie, it sends it
   even while begin CRSF'ed.
   - I have cooked a patch that adds a "key=<random>" validation key to
   every single form of the application. It does work to protect against some
   very basic CRSF attacks, although it is not completely secure.
   Web browser are not supposed to allow to perform cross-domain requests,
   but they do. The problem is obvious then. The attacker could GET one of the
   app pages, extract the POST validation key and use it to get his POST
   accepted by the application.
   - I do not even mention useless techniques like checking the Referrer
   header.

Am I missing something?
Is there any idea/proposal on how to fix up the issue properly?

Cheers!

--
Greetings, alo
http://www.octality.com/