Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 15:00:03 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Closed list

Jason -

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 08:20:48AM -0400, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Likewise,
>
> pub   4096R/A5DE03AE 2011-01-15
>       Key fingerprint = AB99 42E6 D4A4 CFC3 4126  20A7 49FC 7012 A5DE 03AE
> uid                  Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@...c4.com>
> sub   4096R/FB1EFB7F 2011-01-15

What Linux distro are you a security contact for, how do we verify that,
and how were you receiving vendor-sec mail before?  (These are some of
the eligibility criteria for the initial seed membership of the new
list.  The requirement "was a vendor-sec member" is likely to be lifted
after a while.)

All -

The moderators of oss-security approved all subscription requests and
criticism to be posted to this thread so far, but perhaps it's time to
start rejecting unjustified requests to keep the noise down, asking the
senders to re-post with due justification included.  This is what we
will likely start doing should more requests without justification be
sent to the list address.  I don't view this as censorship; it's merely
getting people to include all info in one message, which reduces noise.

This doesn't apply to messages with criticism and/or suggestions, which
we will continue to approve.

I am pleased to see that this thread is calming down, letting us focus
on discussing actual software security issues (in other/new threads).
Although the thread was/is noisy, I think it also helped us highlight
several real issues, some of which we don't have good solutions for.

Alexander