Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 11:37:29 -0600
From: Vincent Danen <vdanen@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, file@...gw.com
Cc: christos@...las.com
Subject: Re: Possible security fixes in 5.05?

* [2011-03-21 23:16:15 -0600] Raphael Geissert wrote:

>Hi,
>
>>From file's 5.05 changelog[1] it seems like some security-relevant changes were
>made, but I'm unable to find further information. I saw a git repository being
>mentioned in a message but I can't find it either.
>
>Can anyone please shed some light to the security-related changes?
>
>I would like to encourage developers to communicate such kind of issues openly
>in this list, as it helps getting them fixed in distributions.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>[1]http://mx.gw.com/pipermail/file/2011/000690.html

Looks like there are a few issues here:

     * Fix two potential buffer overruns in apprentice_list.

https://github.com/glensc/file/commit/148f1089b5c4f5ec5d51c2f147379817cb9ac47d

     * Minor security fix to softmagic.c (don't use untrusted
       string as printf format).

https://github.com/glensc/file/commit/b05926f28f3cab0ef77101f89be154329dcb8dea

I have not looked at them in more depth to see how much of a problem they are,
or when they were introduced (in order to know which versions are affected),
etc.

I'm cc'ing Christos to see if he can perhaps enlighten us.

--
Vincent Danen / Red Hat Security Response Team