Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:02:31 +0200
From: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@....de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Closed list

Am 02.04.2011 02:08, schrieb Dan Rosenberg:
> Hi Josh,
>

>> Long term I'd like to see two lists, one for purpose #1, and another geared
>> toward #2. I think having a trusted venue for knowledge sharing would be
>> very useful, and we likely don't want the list clogged with coordination
>> details. This will of course rely heavily on what Openwall is willing to
>> take on. They're already taking on a lot of risk and responsibility, I
>> don't want to spoil the good will.
>>

> I agree that having such a venue for discussion would be valuable, and
> I'd personally like to contribute to such a list.
>

>> Should we require members use a mail address from their vendor? Letting
>> people use personal addresses creates an opportunity for people to remain
>> on a list when they are no longer a part of a given vendor (it also makes
>> it quite easy to know who represents a vendor).
>>

> Yes, I think this should be a requirement for a closed coordination
> list (as opposed to the more relaxed option #2).  In fact, I think
> membership to such a list should be restricted almost exclusively to
> distributions and downstream providers of third-party software.  It
> obviously makes sense to have distro security teams on a list, since a
> vulnerability in project XYZ will need to be coordinated among all of
> the distros.  However, most software projects only need access to
> information concerning their own project.  There's no reason one
> software project should gain access to vulnerability information about
> a completely unrelated project, and restricting membership to achieve
> that will at least help minimize the leakage that went on with the
> previous list.

This raises an interesting point, "downstream providers of third-party
software".

In my case, I'd understand that I might want to offer vendors the
possibility to co-ordinate upgrades for bogofilter, fetchmail, and
leafnode, in lexicographical order, and possibly for a FreeBSD port --
although I'm not a representative of FreeBSD's security officer team
(nor would that team usually deal with third-party software
vulnerabilities unless it's in the basde system).

Questions:

#1 would the new private list be allowed to Cc: outside members (for
instance, FreeBSD's unencrypted internal developers@ list does not allow
that)?  Who would make sure that no end user agent allows an unencrypted
Cc: slip?  A major concern IMO.

#2 will the subscriber list be public for subscribers that are later
joining according to a policy that the new subscribers will have voted
on in the secret list?

#3 will the list rules themselves be open to non-members?

Best regards
Matthias Andree