Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 01:33:01 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Closed list

Ben,

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 10:06:03PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
> OK, but ... I wasn't on vendor-sec, but (IMO) am at least as qualified
> as most of the people who were. Now what?

What do you propose?

In what capacity do you feel you're qualified?

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for you - in fact, in my
sysadmin role, I am flattered that you'd want to be on a list I setup.
I just think that you providing answers to the questions above will help
the discussion.  I don't know what your answers would be (I can try to
guess, but I might be wrong).  I do think that you might propose
something we have not yet thought of.

The vendor-sec membership requirement was just for the initial seed
membership of the new list.  Its purpose is to ensure we're not making
things worse in terms of pre-CRD leaks, at least not right away. ;-)

As you can see from another message I posted, I've only setup a
Linux distros list for now, which lets us side-step the issue of
comparing one security researcher vs. another for membership of that
list.  I'd be happy to setup a separate list with only security
researchers on it, and we can ask folks to CC that list whenever a
discussion on the Linux distros list is expected to significantly
benefit from participation of the researchers.

I'd be happy if you have a better proposal.

Thanks,

Alexander