Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 10:52:28 -0500
From: Nelson Elhage <nelhage@...lice.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Vendor-sec hosting and future of closed lists

Per <http://cve.mitre.org/cve/obtain_id.html>, you can contact cve@...re.org to
obtain a CVE privately prior to a release. As mentioned on that page, they
specifically want to make it possible for you to obtain a CVE for inclusion with
the initial announcement of a vulnerability.

I've contacted them for exactly the purpose you describe (obtaining a CVE
identifier for a small open-source project prior to releasing/announcing the
vulnerability), and I've had a turnaround time of less than a day. Their stated
policy is "Our typical response time to your initial request is within 2
business days, usually faster."

So, unless I misunderstand something, there already is a good way for individual
projects, even small ones, to fairly rapidly obtain CVE numbers prior to
announcing issues.

- Nelson