Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:45:35 -0500
From: Marc Deslauriers <marc.deslauriers@...onical.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: fuse

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 11:17 -0500, Josh Bressers wrote:
> [...]

Sure!

http://fuse.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=fuse/fuse;a=commit;h=bf5ffb5fd8558bd799791834def431c0cee5a11f

Fuse tries to mount a directory without resolving symlinks, and then
tries to update mtab. If it couldn't update mtab, it would unmount the
directory while resolving symlinks this time, resulting in a different
directory being unmounted.

http://fuse.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=fuse/fuse;a=commit;h=1e7607ff89c65b005f69e27aeb1649d624099873

This prevents local users from changing the location of the current
directory from under fuse using a timing attack.

http://fuse.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=fuse/fuse;a=commit;h=cbd3a2a84068aae6e3fe32939d88470d712dbf47

Fuse uses the --no-canonicalize mount option to prevent a symlink attack
on the mount point written to mtab. For backwards compatibility reasons,
it would fallback to using mount in an insecure way. This fallback could
get triggered by a user when an entry already existed in mtab.

All three of these issues allowed local users to trick fuse into
unmounting arbitrary directories.

Marc.