Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 14:36:42 -0500 (EST)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: moodle 1.9.10

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Josh Bressers wrote:

>> Moodle 1.9.10 is a security update again:
>> http://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle_1.9.10_release_notes
>>

> This appears to be these things:
>
> * MSA-10-0017 XSS vulnerability in YUI 2.4.0 through YUI 2.8.1
>    Use CVE-2010-3866 for this.

While many of the sources for YUI imply that there's only one XSS, one of
our CVE analysts observed that the "Affected Files and Patches" section at
the end of http://yuilibrary.com/support/2.8.2/ makes it clear that three
separate .SWF files are affected, and they are all patched in slightly
different versions.

So, I'm going to REJECT CVE-2010-3866 and SPLIT it into the following 3
CVEs:

CVE-2010-4207
charts/assets/charts.swf
YUI 2.4.0 through 2.8.1

CVE-2010-4208
uploader/assets/uploader.swf
YUI 2.5.0 through 2.8.1

CVE-2010-4209
swfstore/swfstore.swf
YUI 2.8.0 through 2.8.1

> * MSA-10-0015 Customised HTML Purifier upgraded to 4.2.0
> * MSA-10-0014 Customised phpMyAdmin upgraded to 2.11.11
>
> These two have no real information I can see. They just say to upgrade the
> upstream version. Does anyone have more information (I can't follow the
> link to the tracker).

This lack of information is a fairly common problem.  Generally, we take
the approach of assuming that such changes are related to vulnerabilities
that originate from the third-party package, but sometimes the
vulnerability is in glue code from the main package to the third-party
package, so there are limitations to this assumption.

- Steve