Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 12:25:10 +0200
From: Oden Eriksson <oeriksson@...driva.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Nagios format string issues

tisdagen den 5 oktober 2010 20.21.02 skrev  Florian Weimer:
> Nagios Core 3.2.3 inclues fixes for a few format string bugs:
>
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.announce/85>
>
> The patch Guillaume submitted is here:
>
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.devel/7493>
>
> Does anybody know if this is on an exploitable code path?

We have a whole bunch of similar patches in Mandriva, just fetch the cooker
source rpm packages and do something like:

rpm -qlp *.src,rpm | grep format

It would be a major task to push that to the upstream projects.

Just checked the ones I fixed (in 2008/2009):

$ rpm -qlp /SRPMS/contrib/release/*.rpm /SRPMS/main/release/*.rpm | grep
format_not_a_string_literal_and_no_format_arguments | wc -l
106

So, at least 106 new CVE assignments there.

Cheers.

--
Regards // Oden Eriksson
Security team manager - Mandriva