Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:07:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: Michael Koziarski <michael@...iarski.com>
cc: Thomas Biege <thomas@...e.de>, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
        juliano@...ifera.comt, thaidn@...ecurity.net, security@...yonrails.org
Subject: Re: CVE request: padding oracle attack: ruby on rails
 2.3, owasp esapi

When it comes to language interpreters and/or code libraries: if an
exposed API function has a vuln in it that could affect any application
that uses that function, it's suitable for inclusion in CVE - especially
if the function seems likely to accept malicious input.  If there's *no
way* that these API functions can be used safely, then that would be
associated with Rails, and a single CVE could be assigned.  If they *can*
be used safely, but lots of different programmers just screw it up (a la
strcpy() in C), then the individual applications would get their own
separate CVEs.

In this case, while the issue is probably not a problem for the bulk of
Rails programmers, it might be for some - so a single CVE assignment seems
reasonable.

Hope that made sense.

- Steve