Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 18:32:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Josh Bressers <bressers@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: CVE Request [two ids] -- cabextract -- 1,
 Infinite  loop in MS-ZIP and Quantum decoders (minor) 2, Integer
 wrap-around (crash) by  processing certain *.cab files in test archive mode

----- "Dan Rosenberg" <dan.j.rosenberg@...il.com> wrote:

> This seems to be a bit of a slippery slope.  While I have no problem
> with these particular issues being assigned CVEs, since they were
> treated as security issues, fixed, and caused unintended application
> behavior, I have to wonder if maybe it's a bad idea to give CVEs for
> crashes of this variety.  Denial-of-service issues are tricky.  In my
> opinion, the following types of DoS bugs are security relevant:

I agree with you on this. I gave it an ID, as I'm going to presume that the
cabextract application is likely used in things like virus and mail
scanners, where we don't want a crashing application.

One of the unfortunate aspects of assigning a large number of CVE ids, is
sometimes I have to assume things, as I lack the time to properly
understand what's going on for everything. I figure it's easier to dispute
an ID than end up in the situation where a scary exploit vector is found
later. You are welcome to, and should, dispute this if you think I'm
mistaken.

I would have likely turned down such a request for say an image viewer.

Thanks for the followup though, it's nice to know someone is watching us
watchers ;)

--
    JB